Established in 1868, this was the first permanent Catholic parish in the Sioux Falls Diocese. The present church was built in 1891. In 1930, Henry Goering came to St. Peter's Church and started the famous painting of the Ascension above the main Altar in the Sanctuary, which is truly a work of art. The figure of Christ is life-size and all the paintings are done with a beauty of the 16th century. The tall spire and cross can be seen for miles around. The church is visited by many tourists each year.
Welcome to St. Peter's Community Center
St. Peter's Parish is proud to present the St. Peter's Community Center located in Jefferson, South Dakota. Recently, the parishioners and community members made the commitment to strengthen the community of Jefferson.
Our beautiful new community center is the result of these efforts. Many parishioners and community members gave their time, talent and treasure to make our new community center a reality.
We are proud to be able to share this incredible facility with our friends, neighbors and surrounding communities.
St. Peter's Parish
St. Peter's Community Center